Sunday, May 17, 2009

Gay Myth #5: We are Godless Sinners

It is difficult to write objectively on a topic that essentially contemplates my eternal damnation. To many Christian believers, being gay means going to hell. Period. So, unless I do something drastic and more socially acceptable - like becoming an ordained priest for example - I am destined to dwell in the pits of hell.

It doesn't matter if God made me this way (which He didn't if you ask many Christian crusaders - I clearly chose to be sexually attracted to men, either consciously or sub-consciously), living a 'gay lifestyle' is an abomination and can only result in fire and brimstone.

Nor does it matter that the few scriptures that even allude to homosexuality as a sin are subject to debate in regards to both literal translation and contextual meaning. No... these self-anointed soul-savers clearly have the inside scoop on the Word of God and are more than eager to share the true meaning of these passages with all who will listen.

As good Christians, most make sure to remind everyone to 'hate the sin, and not the sinner'. This means they will tolerate me and my lifestyle while they pity me for my certain damnation. Very pious, indeed. For the record, I so appreciate being tolerated. I once had to tolerate Athlete's Foot that lasted for several weeks, and it required an enormous amount of self restraint to keep from chopping off my feet. If not for my faith in Lotrimin, and an untapped inner-strength I had previously not known, I fear I would have smote (smitten?) my feet while pitying their fate. Tolerance has truly made me a better man. I can only imagine the patience and inner resolve it takes for a good Christian to tolerate the flaming forbidden fruits that frolic among them.

Sarcasm aside, I do think it's difficult for any gay man or woman to truly embrace a religion that espouses homophobic dogma. As I think about my LGBT friends, I have to say that most are not outwardly religious people - although I speculate that many of them have core religious beliefs. Conversely, I also know several gay men and women who are deeply religious and have found tremendous spiritual support through the minority of churches who openly welcome LGBT members. It's disheartening to know, however, that most churches continue to treat homosexuality as a sin and therefore treat gays with 'tolerance' rather than a welcoming embrace. Frankly, I find it unbelievable that ANY religion would turn away someone who is truly seeking spiritual enlightenment, and yet here we are.

For me, it's hard to reconcile the notion that God made me gay, and is condemning me for it (or at least for not 'overcoming' it). I recently read some advice on an Islamic site that instructs parents to teach their children at an early age that homosexuality is wrong, and that if they experience homosexual urges they must resist because they are being 'tested' by God. I'm sure this attitude is not unique to the Islam faith - it is just as prevalent in Christianity. I believe there is something inherently wrong with that way of thinking, and I will not accept it.

More importantly, I do not believe morality has anything to do with sexual identity. In my opinion, any secular faith that equates the two has let societal misconceptions and fears overshadow the true message that early spiritual leaders were trying to convey. Most religions are based on one simple rule: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". This means you should have love and respect for others - promoting their safety, well-being, and prosperity - and you should strive to contribute to a better society.

At its core, that's what religion is all about. It has nothing to do with sexual identity. In fact, the very act of condemning and chastising gays for their sexual identity in the name of God is contrary to the basic tenets of religion. How does prejudice and bigotry demonstrate love and respect for fellow man? Leave the final judgment to your God of choice, but while in this life... Live and Let Love.

So are gays Godless? Clearly not. As I've said before, the LGBT community is as diverse as society itself. We represent the full spectrum of religious beliefs, in spite of the fact that we are ostracized by many of the religions we belong to.

And are gays sinners? You'll have to decide that for yourself. I've given you my view of it. For reference, here is a brief 'cheat sheet' on how many of the major religions view homosexuality.
  • Christianity: varies by church denomination, but traditionally considers homosexuality a sin.
  • Judaism: varies by Jewish sect. Scripture alludes to homosexual acts as an abomination - much like practicing idolatry, sinful sacrifices, and/or witchcraft, although the translation and context is debated.
  • Islam: explicitly states that homosexuality is a sin. Many Islamic countries still punish homosexual acts with death. (Sure... and these people choose to be gay)
  • Hindu: does not appear to reference homosexuality in religious texts, and so seems to have conflicting interpretations.
  • Buddhism: does not appear that the Buddha addressed homosexuality directly in his teachings, and also seems to have conflicting interpretations.

For a far more comprehensive chart on various religious views on homosexuality, click on the following link at http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality/comparison_chart.htm. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Special thanks to http://www.religioustolerance.org/ for a wealth of information on this topic.

6 comments:

  1. (found your blog from you sister's twitter account)

    As a heterosexual and committed Christian, the intolerance and condemnation of so much of the "faith" organizations towards LGBTs is so incredibly frustrating. There are many of us who welcome LGBT into our church families, not as LGBT but simply as fellow Christians.

    I also hate the "love the sinner, hate the sin" crap, mostly because it is just seeping with hyprocracy from the people who say it (and really has no legitimate biblical basis).

    As a Lutheran, this is the group that best shows our particular church's approach: www.lcna.org

    Scott in OR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott in OR: Thanks for your comments, and for the link. I wish all churches / faith organizations were as forward thinking as your lutheran chapter. Similarly, I wish everyone were as open minded and committed to equality as you. Thanks for your support!

    Scott W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is another comment that a family-member was not able to post directly on the blog due to technical difficulties...

    My husband and I discuss the various tenets of Christianity often, because as you state so eloquently, it has many differing viewpoints based on your particular denomination. We also discuss, on a regular basis, whether we are to view the Bible in a literal sense -- it is God-breathed and inerrant -- or in an historical sense -- inspired by God, yet written by man, and therefore, flawed. We tend to lean toward an historical interpretation. There is one verse that I try to base my actions upon and believe that if everyone followed this verse, our world would truly be a better place. It is 1 John 4:16: "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." This verse does not list any exceptions for love of any type. God IS love - period. So I say, love everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever people say I "chose" to be gay, I wonder when exactly they "chose" to become heterosexual? I mean, it's a "choice", right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just for the record, Jesus never mentions homosexuality. I'd say if the fact that "homosexuality is a sin" were more important that those passages in the Old Testament regarding all those "beliefs" (forbidden foods, women's clothing, etc.) that most Christians have now left behind, Jesus would have said something about it, would he have not? Did he not come to fulfill the Old Testament? Oh well, I guess he just "forgot." Why do we pick out what to believe from the Bible? And yes that passage in Leviticus ("man shalt not lie, etc etc.") is not clear. Also, in Sodom and Gomorrah was the sin the fact that it was homosexual sex or the fact that it was rape? Current Christian Churches need to analyze scripture a lot further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment... you make a great point. There are very few references in the Bible - Old Testament or New - that identify homosexuality as a sin, and the few that are commonly quoted are subject to controversy about their true intent. And you're right, it certainly wasn't important enough for Jesus to include the topic in his teachings.

    Yet, the most vehement condemnation of gays comes from religious factions (usually Christian, no less) that have made their own conclusions about what is sin and what isn't. It wouldn't bother me as much if these beliefs were isolated to peripheral factions of the church; but unfortunately, mainstream religion has taken an anti-gay stance without regard for the truth behind the scriptures they preach. It's mind boggling to me.

    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and for sharing your views. I do appreciate it! Spread the word!

    ReplyDelete